Thursday, August 23, 2007

The exorist of Isabella Rose

Oh, what a fun-filled day! We've all been there. You know, the day you have to take your child to the pediatrician for their "back to school physical". The ONLY time I actually schedule a time to go. I don't usually tell my daughter that we are heading to the doc. I don't really need all the drama involved. I would just prefer to tell her as we turn into the parking lot... But, I didn't. I told her in the morning. That started the question I knew would come... "do I have to get a shot?". Over and over she asked. I informed my 5yr old daughter, that we were just going to make sure she was healthy enough to go to school. The doctor is going to make sure you can see and hear so you are able to learn at school. "But, do I have to get a shot?"

I'm not going to lie to the girl. I am a Pediatric nurse and have been for over 12 years. I think she should be ok... no shot due, but I can't be sure. So I don't want to give her false reassurance. "Bella. I don't think that you need a shot, but the doctor is going to be the one to decide. We'll just have to wait and see". "But, I don't want to get a shot" :::insert drama here:::

I've always been very matter of fact about shots. You just have to have them. I'll tell ya. No amount of reasoning is going to help. Kids just don't like shots.

So. We finally get there and she relaxes a bit when the doc enters the room. Bella is excited to show her all the things she's able to do. She has 20/20 vision (wahoo!) and can obviously hear because she answered the doctor's questions (but, I would have argued that she is DEAF!). Then she asked the question "ummm, do I have to getta shot?" The doctor paused and looked at the chart. Then she says "why don't you ask me that question after I finish checking you out." CRAP. I KNOW what that means. I better start lifting weights, cuz a fight is gonna ensue.

Once Bella finds out that she actually has to get a shot, the drama breaks loose. For the next 20 minutes, she sits crying on my lap. "I don't want to get a shot".... I even go into the bribery mode. I know what will work... I tell her if she is a brave girl and follows directions then I will let her pick out the coveted Webkinz animals she fell in love with. I felt it was a fitting reward, considering I didn't think she was going to get a shot today. I thought it was my Ace in the hole. Well, the nurse walks in and it turned into WWF! My 5 year old daughter wrapped her legs around my waist and started screaming "I DON'T WANT A SHOT! I DON'T WANT A SHOT"... she refuses to even sit on the table. I lay her down and try to reason with her... "be good, you can have a Webkinz if you're brave"... then, i thought her head was going to spin around and she was going to spew green barf on me! My good-natured, smiling, happy 5 year old daughter started speaking in demonic tones... NO. NO. NO. LET ME UP. NO.. GET OFF ME! I am trying to hold her down and she lands a swift kick right into the chest of this rookie nurse. I grab her hands, and laid completely across her body trying to keep her still. Before I knew it that rookie nurse had the shot in and bandaded. She did pretty good. Then my dear daughter sat up and wiped her tears and asked for her Webkinz.
She is outta her mind. I'm forever changed. My sweet, non-aggressive, happy, smiling daughter is possessed. There is no other explanation.

Next school physical.... Mark gets to take her.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh Amy, this is so funny! And I love that you'll have DH take her next time.

Is she liking school?

(from Michelle in MI)

Jenn said...

LOL! Of course I feel bad for laughing, but having just been thru the exact same thing in March, I can totally commiserate!! It's amazing the true strength they have, eh? :)